2.17.2011

Long Live Brian Jacques!

Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall books, died on Saturday, February 5, after a heart attack.  (Read his obituary...he was an amazing person.)  This made me incredibly sad, because I am a huge fan of the Redwall series and have read 19 of the 21 books!  I was happy to learn that the very last Redwall book, called The Rogue Crew, will be released in May.

Redwall is a fantasy adventure series with a twist:  all of the characters are small animals!  This may sound strange, but the world they inhabit is entirely believable.  The Redwall books are richly-imagined fantasy adventure stories that will capture your imagination with courageous journeys, puzzling mysteries, and (of course) epic battles. And when the characters are not adventuring, they are feasting...the books always make me hungry. (There actually is a Redwall Cookbook, too.)

In honor of Brian Jacques and my love for the Redwall series, I put up a little display in the teen section in his memory.  They are perfect for winter reading, so check them out. The best part is that you don't have to read them in order, although you might want to start with Redwall.  My two personal favorites are Loamhedge and The Legend of Luke.

No comments: