2.05.2011

Book Review: In the Shadow of the Lamp

In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap
Review by Arig
(This book will be published on April 12, 2011)

SUMMARY:  Molly Fraser is a young girl living in London in 1854. She had worked at a wealthy family’s house as a servant. One day her ‘friend’ does something inexplicably horrible and gets Molly fired. Now Molly is left without a job to help with the family income. While walking home she overhears that a certain Miss Nightingale needs 100 nurses to tend to soldiers in Turkey. After Molly gets denied to be a a part of the group, she makes a plan on how to get in. She turns to her best friend Will for some money and a temporary place to stay.

Molly goes to stay at Will’s sister’s house for a couple nights. She helps the pregnant lady go through labor and brings out the baby. At last Molly is allowed to go be a nurse with the rest of the nurses that have already had practice. Molly makes friends with Emma (who has a big secret) and thus begins her journey. The travel to Turkey was tiring and hectic. She sees lots of gore and injured people. One day Molly gets a letter from Will saying that he’s become a soldier so he could get closer to her.

Molly is excited and can’t wait but then she meets Dr. Maclean. He makes her heart flutter and sparks fly. Then one day he kisses her and then Will comes to see her. He drops the bomb on her and she doesn’t answer the way he wants her to answer. Problems arise and Molly travels with Emma on a secret mission. More problems occur and hearts are broken then mended again. Read the book to find out what happens. Travel the journeys with Molly and be swept away with a story that will bring you love, fear, sadness, sorrow, and adventure. It’s got everything!

OPINION:  Don’t judge a book by its cover. That’s the most thing I have to emphasize about this book. I (acknowledging that I was wrong) had pushed this book aside for awhile because I feared it would be boring. I am a type of person who hates boring books or books that make no sense. But this was totally the opposite.  Although I didn’t think I’d like the book I loved it! I mean it will blow your mind away. It’s got most of the things I was looking for. On a scale from one to ten I’d give it a 9.8. That’s how good I thought it was. My siblings stole it from me to read it too. I was very glad I came across this book and I was glad it ended the way it was. Kudos to author Susanne Dunlap in writing this book. It is freakishly awesome!

No comments: