1.25.2011

Book Review: Tiger's Curse

Tiger’s Curse by Colleen Houck
Review by Arig
(Click here to find a library copy.)

SUMMARY:  Kelsey Hayes 17, parents deceased, a lover of reading and drawing, is looking for a job. She gets a short job at a circus, where everyone is kind to her.  Little does she know that there is a secret to this circus. She gets to work with the dogs, see the other animals, give tickets, stand at the gift shop center and…feed Dhiren, the amazingly blue-eyed white tiger from India.

The relationship with Ren the tiger starts out cautiously. Kelsey tends to keep away a bit but she is drawn to him, as if a spell pulls her towards him. She gets lost in his beautiful eyes. She realizes that Ren isn’t like the other animals. It’s as if Ren understands her words and emotions. One day, Kelsey gathers up the courage and pets him. Their relationship begins to grow in a more comfortable and relaxing way. She reads to him and sketches him whenever she can. Suddenly, a strange Indian man named Mr. Kadam comes to visit the circus and talks to the owner. The news breaks that Ren has been sold and will return to his home country, India. Mr. Kadam offers Kelsey the opportunity to accompany him to India so she can care for the tiger while traveling. Kelsey, after building a strong bond with Ren, thinks about the offer and then takes it. And so their journey together begins.

Once in India, Kelsey makes a surprising discovery.  Kelsey and Ren are exploring a forest, but when she turns around and looks for Ren, she only finds a handsome young Indian standing in front of her. He tries assuring her and telling her that he’s Ren until finally she believes him.  Both sit as he tells Kelsey what happens. Ren has about a little time each day that he could turn from tiger to human form. He can’t pass that certain amount of time. Kelsey discovers that Ren is a centuries-year-old prince who was cursed and became a tiger with his brother. Kelsey and Ren begin to seek paths to break Ren’s curse. Kelsey gets to meet his brother Kishan while Ren takes her to a secret place he never showed anyone. Emotions erupt and the love between Ren and Kelsey grows until she has to leave for America.

OPINION:  AGH!!!! That’s the most I could say. I LOVE this book. It’s official. By far this tops almost every story I’ve red. It’s so much better than Twilight! I mean I love Twilight but I LOOOVE Tiger’s Curse. It’s amazing! It brings adventure and romance together. The romance just erupts. I was giddy the whole way through the book until I finished it.

Where do I start? Mr. Kadam is sooo cool and he’s just a great character. Kelsey is, well, the luckiest girl in the world to have Ren. I’m sooo jealous from her. But I have to agree, she has a point. Kishan is for anyone who loves the dark young, handsome men with green eyes. He’s cool and kind, but seriously wicked. Ren. Right now he’s my favorite character in the book and all other books that have romance in them. He’s every girl’s dream guy. He’s funny, handsome, smart, rich, sweet, romantic, and almost everything else you think of is him. He’s dreamy and so exciting. I think Ren brings the book to life. He just gives it this burst that leaves the reader wanting to come back for more.

If I were to rate this book from a scale of 1 to 5, I’d give it a 10. The great thing about this book is not that it’s so well written and makes the reader fall in love with Ren, but it’s the fact that not only girls will like this book. Sometimes a book is for one gender, but this book is clearly for both.  It’s wonderful! It’s terrific! I can’t explain it better than that. I recommend this book to everyone and anyone. I mean I really really really can’t wait until the next book comes out. The author did a wonderful job with this book.

ONLINE:  Visit http://www.tigerscursebook.com/, where you can join the author's Twitter feed, follow her blog, post in forums about the book, mail an e-card, and more!

3 comments:

jbwriting said...

omg just bough this book........BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!

Canada said...

I cant believe how great this book was! To tell you the truth I really was not thinking this book was going to be very good but the more I got into it the less I wanted to stop reading. I finished this book in one day! Thats how great i thought this book was. I could read this book over and over again

Silver Tiger said...

OMG!!! i read the series and cant wait till i can read more!! i got two of my sisters into it and LOVE it!! my most favorite character so far has to be ren!his brother Kishan is also cool but... hmm... mr Kadam is also a relly good character... so is his many great greats of grand children that travels with them.