10.05.2009

New Feature: Super Sentence

When Jasmine was reading to Jeff at Book Grub last Friday, there was one summary that kept tripping her up with vocabulary! It seems like a good excuse to me to improve your test scores along with your general intelligence, so I am going to add a new vocabulary feature to our blog. Every once in a while, I will post a Super Sentence containing several new vocabulary words in boldface. If you are a teen patron at Sellers, you have one week to respond in the comment section with a translation to normal language along with your first name and last initial. The person with the most accurate translation will get a prize from me!

Here is the first one:

After receiving a macabre invitation, Robert Langdon uses his esoteric knowledge of historical minutia to elucidate clues in The Lost Symbol.

9 comments:

katie said...

After receiving a horrifying invitation, Robert Langdon uses his limited knowledge of historical preciseness to explain clue in the Lost Symbol.

Katie E.

martha said...

After receiving a vague invitation, Robert Langdon uses his specific knowledge of historical events to reveal clues in The Lost Symbol.

Genevieve Naklicki said...

How did you know that??? I feel stupid now....

Gretchen said...

i think they may have used...gasp...a thesaurus!!!

remember, the whole point of this is to LEARN SOMETHING...

martha said...

wait a minute, did I actually get it right?

Gretchen said...

i would say that you and katie both used three of four words correctly, so you're kind of tied at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Well, this pretentious sentence roughly translates into:

After receiving a gruesome invitation, Robert Langdon (super hot by the way) uses his expertise in little known historical details to interpret clues in the Lost Symbol.

Although the original sentence excludes the fact that Robert Lengdon is very fine for a fifty year old, I thought I'd put that in anyway.

--busra

Gretchen said...

OK, so I am going to declare Bushra the winner on this one!

macabre = gruesome; horrifying
esoteric = secret; cryptic
minutia = details; trivia
elucidate = clarify; explain

look for another super sentence soon! bushra, you won candy!!

Busra said...

YAY!! I won!

too bad I've already taken the SAT... twice, I might add.