4.25.2006

Book Review: Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

SUMMARY: Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses--and then training them in the arts of war. The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of war games. Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games. He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet? (adapted from the New York Times)

OPINION: This is a YA classic that I have never been interested in, until Megan declared it a "must read" to me a few weeks ago. It totally involved me in a way I did not expect from a science fiction book. (I keep saying I don't read sci-fi, and then I end up liking the books, so maybe I should just accept that I like to read it!) Sci-fi can always get to the big questions of life because it puts distance between us and our problems through time and technology. This book really deals with issues like globalization, war, race relations, media, and schooling but the sci-fi plot is what kept me reading. Going to Ender's school and playing the war games would be pretty cool, except for the fact that graduation lands you in the middle of a real interstellar war...

No comments: